Dangers of Rodent Bait

Image of a dead rat next to bait.

There are several general classifications of rodent poison (rodenticide) available over the counter. The most common is one that prevents blood clotting called an anticoagulant; D- con being the most easily recognized in light of the recent bans on second generation anticoagulant rodenticides.

Anticoagulant rodenticides can come in many forms from liquid, to pellets, to blocks. They are made to be palatable, thus the increase in risk to pets. When they are ingested the active ingredient is absorbed and begins blocking Vitamin K. Vitamin K is not a vitamin in the traditional sense, instead it is a molecule used by the blood during the clotting process.

Poisoning Symptoms

Unfortunately, signs of sickness begin days after ingestion. Usually signs start with weakness, tiredness and then progress to coughing. Nearly 100% of cases of anticoagulant poisonings start with bleeding into the lungs.

Treatment for Poisonings

Treatment of these anticoagulant poisonings often lags behind the initial poisoning resulting in dramatically reduced survival rates. This is often because pets do not act sick after ingesting the poison and therefore owners either are unaware it happened or believe the pet will be fine.

Treatment of these poisonings depends on how soon the pet is brought in for treatment as well as the severity of that pet’s illness. The prognosis and survival rate is dependent on early recognition of signs and treatment.

If an owner is aware that their pet ate the poison, vomiting can be induced to remove as much of the poison as possible and the pet can be started on a Vitamin K supplement until all the poison leaves the body. This reduces the risk of bleeding and the pet has an excellent prognosis with appropriate monitoring.

If a pet is already suspected to be suffering from the signs of poisoning and is bleeding into its lungs or other tissues the treatment is very different. Diagnosis is usually through a blood test that determines how long it takes for the pet’s blood to clot – these times are longer in poisoned pets. Xrays can show how severe the bleeding is into the lungs as well, providing more information for prognosis. The pet is started on Vitamin K and will often need a plasma or whole blood transfusion. The transfusion is important not only to replenish blood volume but also provides the pet with the blood clotting factors the poison is blocking.

Prevention

As with most poisons, owner awareness is critical to saving the life of the pet. Knowing what poisons are on the property and ensuring that pets do not have access is the first step in prevention of poisonings. Then, making sure to check those poisons regularly so if it is ingested, early treatment can be started.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Testimonial

Read What Our Client Say

  • "Best Vet team ever!! Thank you Dr Setlock for always being there and taking such wonderful care of all my furry baby's!!"
    Yvette Manzella (Facebook)
  • "Quality care from an amazing staff. The service we've received is second none. Despite this, it is still the most affordable vet I've found. Don't hesitate to bring your pets here, they are cared for by people who genuinely care about animals."
    Jeff Makoroff
  • "It can be difficult to find a veterinary clinic that has wonderful doctors and staff, but Wolf Animal Hospital has it all! I especially appreciate all of the hard work from Dr. Herron. She is patient and kind, and she is always willing to answer every question you might have. She helped me find techniques that allowed my 12 year-old dog to lose weight and helped us choose the best arthritis medication for him. I know my family and I appreciate everything she has done for our pets, and we'd recommend her to anyone looking for a knowledgeable and friendly veterinarian!"
    Andi Cluster
  • "Dr reisterer is very nice and knowledgeable. Very reasonable cost also. No BS fake tests done to increase your bill"
    William Bennett
  • "Dr Setlock is the absolute BEST! He and his team, many of whom have been with him for many years, are both talented and caring. He has wisdom of the years and is able to give a long view of certain problems and how to tackle them. I have been a loyal client since 2004, with multiple rescues, fosters, special needs dogs, and dogs who have developed various disorders through the course of their lives. I wouldn't trust my many fur babies to anyone else!"
    Lisa Dworkin